Most of the precancel literature in the world is out-of-print. This makes it tough to find the information you need to collect precancels. However, that which is in-print covers most of the basics for the new precancel collector. Once you’ve been collecting a certain area, you will probably want more. The out-of-print literature has the more detailed information, and can be hard to find.
What’s Out There?
The following listings are based on articles published in The Precancel Forum from March 1983-December 1984, and were compiled by Dilmond Postlewait, with help from other members. If you find any errors or missing entries, please let me know.
- US Bureau Precancel Catalogs: Catalogs listing every bureau precancel.
- US General Precancel Catalogs: Catalogs listing EVERY stamp issued with EVERY precancel type.
- US State Catalogs: Once General catalogs got too huge, individual state general catalogs came along.
- Foreign Precancel Catalogs: Canada, Belgium, France, Luxembourg, Hungary, etc.
- Precancel Periodicals: Club and Dealer journals.
- Other Precancel Literature: Various specialty literature on specific areas of precancels.
Where To Find It?
You can find precancel literature directly from the publishers, from philatelic supply houses, or from dealers. Here are several good sources:
- Precancel Literature published by the PSS: Here are the items for sale by the PSS.
- Precancel Checklists: Here are items put together & sold by Arnold Selengut
- Other Precancel Works: These are self-published by specialists and collectors.
- Out-of-Print Precancel Literature: Michael Hynes sells all precancel literature, old & new.